Thursday, October 30, 2008

Letting Go - The First Week of Exploring Options

Prior to being "let go", my wife, Nancy, and I had planned a trip down to Northeast Texas to see our family and participate in the Omaha, Texas Fall Festival. Going back to my hometown is also a very good form of "letting go", this part of the world provides a nice and easy pace of life. Also I thought it might provide me an opportunity to check out our options for moving back to Northeast Texas. I have always loved this part of the world and there are a number of reasons for that.....




  1. My Mom and Sister still live there.

  2. I grew up there and still have a few friends there.

  3. The country-side is pretty.

  4. And I could go on and on....

However there are a few drawbacks to this area of the world;



  1. There are few jobs that pay above minimum wage.

  2. There is high unemployment.

  3. There are only 1.5 grocery stores.

  4. Although the population is only around 2000, there are more than 20 churches and only 1 bar. As most of you know, I would prefer a community that provides 20 bars, with a single church for the sinners (whoever they may be) to repent.

  5. The county is "dry", which means a 50 mile round trip to buy a can of beer.

  6. Most of my old friends have moved away to find decent jobs and something to do on Saturdays besides clean the chicken coops.

It's early in this adventure yet - so I won't rule out living in Northeast Texas, but I must admit there are a few drawbacks.


The Omaha Fall Festival was a raging success this year; Specifically;

  1. Eight people entered the Chili Cook-off

  2. 5 or 6 folks competed in the scarecrow contest

  3. The "Eastern Star Sorority" sold all of their chicken stew

  4. The demolition derby (in the next town over) drew over 200 spectators

  5. The Bar-None Ministry and Church held a revival, which drew about 100 folks, and saved 2 souls.

  6. About 50 of us got to see the greatest blues band in this part of the world, Diddley Squat. You can see them too here; http://dsquat.com/ enjoy!!

So much for week one. All the best! mike



3 comments:

  1. Mazol Tof!
    Its about time you guys got back to Texas. Why not the Austin/Georgetown area. Since I am back in the workforce and no longer married, (now working for Target) maybe we could start another joint venture and make a few scheckels to boot! Give me a call when you can.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say come join me over here, but Kuwait has even less going on than Northeast Texas (I never knew that was possible!).

    And I just might end up back in that part of the world too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog Uncle Mike. I look forward to reading about what you and Nan are up to and where life takes you. Hope it is here sometime soon....

    ReplyDelete