- My Mom and Sister still live there.
- I grew up there and still have a few friends there.
- The country-side is pretty.
- And I could go on and on....
However there are a few drawbacks to this area of the world;
- There are few jobs that pay above minimum wage.
- There is high unemployment.
- There are only 1.5 grocery stores.
- Although the population is only around 2000, there are more than 20 churches and only 1 bar. As most of you know, I would prefer a community that provides 20 bars, with a single church for the sinners (whoever they may be) to repent.
- The county is "dry", which means a 50 mile round trip to buy a can of beer.
- Most of my old friends have moved away to find decent jobs and something to do on Saturdays besides clean the chicken coops.
It's early in this adventure yet - so I won't rule out living in Northeast Texas, but I must admit there are a few drawbacks.
The Omaha Fall Festival was a raging success this year; Specifically;
- Eight people entered the Chili Cook-off
- 5 or 6 folks competed in the scarecrow contest
- The "Eastern Star Sorority" sold all of their chicken stew
- The demolition derby (in the next town over) drew over 200 spectators
- The Bar-None Ministry and Church held a revival, which drew about 100 folks, and saved 2 souls.
- About 50 of us got to see the greatest blues band in this part of the world, Diddley Squat. You can see them too here; http://dsquat.com/ enjoy!!
So much for week one. All the best! mike