Friday, October 31, 2008

Recent Feedback.......

You know, I have always said that a "swift kick in the ass" is an effective form of feedback. But let's talk for a second about feedback, good, bad, & otherwise.

During my trip back to Northeast Texas, I felt compelled to tell a limited number of folks, that my job at the large "fortune 100 company" had ended. The standard reactions went something like this....
  1. Oh My God, what will you and Nancy do?
  2. How will you cut down your expenses to make this work?
  3. I'm so sorry, I wish you'd have lung cancer instead of this......

Those of you that really know me said something completely different and I appreciate that. It also plays into the title of this essay...."Recent Feedback." So let's go ahead and analyze "Feedback" and try and understand what it means and how it can be most effective.

As far as I can tell, the afore mentioned three feedback's, could only introduce fear, uncertainty, and dread to the individual who has just been "let go". In my particular case, I asked myself, "am I overly confident, that just because I have made a living wage since the age of 12, that this will continue? Will I be living on the streets, pushing a grocery cart with all my belongings? Will I find myself muttering some incomprehensible words about Activity Based Management, Harvard University, and Non-Value Added Activity?"

To all of these thoughts, my answer came back loud and strong....."What a bunch of Bullshit!!!!! Nancy and I will be fine....and as for me....I will strut like a cock until I am 99. I will walk like a man.

Believe me, "let go" means I am free, free to do whatever it takes to make myself and Nancy happy. And that I will do, and no human can stop me. Now for a second, in terms of feedback, I would ask the reader what the 3 preceding sympathetic feedbacks mean. To make it simple, I'd rather not hear any of them. While they may show concern, they also offer up a "whipped pup attitude". Ain't no whipped pup here.

In college I tried boxing, and was even inspired by the movie "Rocky". I used to think that my true friends that saw me take a mean punch; saw me hit the canvas; and saw me taking the standing 8 count; would race to the betting window, to try and throw some more money down on me, at better odds. My true friends, would knew that I would get back up, and do whatever it took to win the fight.

By the way, as far as I am concerned this ain't even a fight....it's a joy ride. The cards are stacked in my favor and I am enjoying one chance in my life to decide what I want to do next....biggest cakewalk I have ever had.

Now let's talk some more about feedback. What kind of feedback to you want to give to your friends and loved ones? Will it be:

"The OMG I'm sorry you got a tough break", or the

"Get up and show'em what you can do"

I prefer my friends in the second group. And by the way.....watch for sparks!!!!! My recommendation....try to give your friends winning feedback...not loser feedback.

Be sure to vote!!!!

All the best, Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment