Thursday, March 5, 2009

April Fool's Planning for Profits This Year

You know last year for April Fool's Day we ran a number of ads in the local paper advertising "Spaghetti Seeds" for sale. This was based on a hoax pulled in the 1950's by the BBC. Basically, it goes like this ...


In 1957 the respected BBC news show Panorama announced that thanks to a very mild winter and the virtual elimination of the dreaded spaghetti weevil, Swiss farmers were enjoying a bumper spaghetti crop. It accompanied this announcement with footage of Swiss peasants pulling strands of spaghetti down from trees. Huge numbers of viewers were taken in. Many called the BBC wanting to know how they could grow their own spaghetti tree. To this the BBC diplomatically replied that they should "place a sprig of spaghetti in a tin of tomato sauce and hope for the best." The picture on the right shows an Italian maiden, harvesting the record spaghetti crop.



Believe it or not, we got quite a few calls and visits at both flowershops - from people wanting to buy spaghetti seeds. In fact, we got so many calls that my sister, DeAnna, said she would kill me if I ran those adds again. Oh well, fun is fun - and business is business. The picture on the right is my wicked sister, DeAnna. No, she is not the one on the bottom, she is at the back and bares a striking resemblence to old you-know-who. By the way, the Big Bull in the picture is wearing a white hat - and the other one is the mascot at my old high school.



Anyhow, since I have been banned from bogus ads in regard to Spaghetti Seeds, I am trying to think ahead about a plan for this year's April Fool's Day. Here's what I am thinking of now....how bout instead of spaghetti seeds - Luffa Sponge Seeds? I could even expand my advertising to use pictures like this one....a genuine luffa sponge... like the one on the right. Additionally, I think I might fool even more people by showing evidence (like the BBC) of Sponges growing on a vine.....lol. I could probably throw some stuff in about how they were highly suited to growing in Northeast Texas. The picture on the right, is actually that of a "Ridged Gourd"...which if you use your imagination you could think might could be made into a luffa. What do you think?


One of my key concerns is how to make money on this project. Last year, we got a lot of phone calls but we didn't really get any sales from the effort. In order to promote this kind of thing, it really should be profitable.


So, that is where I need to call on you, the readers of the Let Go Journal to help me out. Please be kind enough to submit your ideas for improving April Fool's Day profitability in the comments section below and let me know how you feel about the idea...will it work? And how can we use this to make an extra buck on April Fool's Day.
All the best - your early April Fool,
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment