Sunday, March 22, 2009

March Madness and Basketball Jones


Well, March Madness is here again. I'll never forget how I first got addicted to this insanity. Click the title up above to hear and see the original Cheech and Chong version of " Basketball Jones".

Anyway, about, 30 something years ago - Me and "Big Al" Jurkonis drove up from Texarkana to Dallas. We sent the wives shopping and we plopped down at a place on Greenville, Ave., called the Filling Station. Hopefully, the Filling Station is still there - it was a gas station which had been converted into a great Burger Resturant - many years back. They had a big screen TV, cold beer, and great junk food - burgers, potato skins, fries, cheese fries, you name it. It was a great day - the kind you wish would never end.... and there are never enough of those.


Big Al, and I sat there all day enjoying the games and festivities. Honestly, it was the first time I had ever watched the "sweet sixteen". One great game right after another. I don't think anybody played the brackets back then....but they may have- I would guess it would be 1981 or 1982. You know, back in the previous century.

Hope your brackets are working for you and enjoy the March Madness Season. Oh and uh, Go Memphis Tigers!


All the best,


Mike



2 comments:

  1. I may be related to Al, we have the same 1st name, BIG! Texas got close to the sweet 16, but we ain't playing horse shoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great day. I remember it every year at Tournament time.

    ReplyDelete