Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Letting Go of Hats


Only a few people know it but I am a hat nut. By the way, Nancy is a hat nut too; and she always looks so sharp in her hats. Her Mom did too, I guess it is a family trait.

In any case, I lost my two best hats. I had a beautiful suede Stetson hat, which I left with my coat 3 weeks ago in Michigan. If that weren't enough, I left my Kangol Beret at a hotel in Michigan as well. Wow, my travelling expenses are skyrocketing. But let's get a few things straight here. I am not letting go of my hats...at least not my favorites. I just lost two, and they must be replaced!!!

I googled "Men's Hat Stores in Memphis" and guess what I got...."Mister Hat of Memphis". What a store, located in East Memphis, not too far from my former office. I went there today for some "Retail Therapy" and boy did I get a surprise. You can get a taste here.... http://www.mrhats.com/

Turns out that Mister Hats is owned and operated by Mr. Lansky. Not necessarily the Mr. Lansky that you might know....but his brother. Some of you, who are "unwashed" by the Bluff City, and the Mississippi River may not know who Mr. Lansky is. Please allow me to introduce you to Mr. Lansky, the clothier of the King Elvis... http://www.lansky126.com/history_home.php

Anyhow, it turns out that there are at least 6 Lansky Brothers. And they are all great as far as I can tell. According to Mr. Lansky, there are over 2 million different types of hats, and Lansky's tries to keep up, but he only has 450,000 different types at his store in Memphis. Every customer is treated as though they are a personal friend of the Lansky family. Everyone who walked in the door at Mister Hats asked for Mr. Lansky. These gentelmen are a tribute to what made America a great county, and I am truly thankful for having the opportunity to meet them.

If anyone ever makes it up here to see me....we are going to see the Lansky Brothers, and I hope you have got your purse or wallet ready .....because we're going to drop a few dollars. But you'll be glad you did.

Now about Letting Go of Hats - it's ok to let go, as long as you get a couple of more and they are even better than what you had. If it's good enough for the King, and Big Ike and Big Mike....it's probably just what you need.

All the best.....

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fact that you found this awesome hat shop! I remember the store at the Peabody... That was an incredible place. You'll have to post a picture of you in your new hats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is the place i'm heading to in chicago around the 20th for my hat.

    http://www.optimohats.com/

    hopefully i'll be able to show it to you in person sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete